(Many thanks to Barbara for pointing out an error in the pattern and correcting it – Nov 26, 2013)
(Thanks SO much, Elizabeth, for pointing out an error in the pattern and correcting it – Feb 22, 2014)
Download PDF version here: Sheesha Pattern PDF
This scarf combines lace and texture in a simple, grid-like pattern. You just replace the center stitch in every little box of the grid with a yarn over. It’s a six-row repeat worked over a multiple of 4 stitches, plus 1 (not including border stitches).
You will need 350-400 yards or about a hundred grams of fingering weight yarn to get a light scarf.
(You can cast on more stitches if you want a wider scarf or stole, in which case you will need more yarn. Another possibility is to omit the garter rows at the beginning and end, and seam the ends together to make a cowl.)
Finished dimensions (after blocking):
9” wide, 51” long
(At 51 inches, my scarf is shorter than the ideal scarf length. You might want to work 6-7 more repeats of the 6-row pattern if you want a longer scarf.)
About 350-400 yards or hundred grams of fingering weight yarn. The exact yardage will vary depending on your gauge and how long you knit the scarf.
(I used approximately 350-360 yards of LB 1878 by Lion Brand).
A pair of US size 7 or 4.5 mm needles for the knitting.
Optional: A pair of US size 8 / 9 or 5 / 5.5 mm needles for casting on and binding off loosely, if required.
Gauge (In pattern stitch, after blocking):
Measured over 4 inches: 23 stitches and 25 rows
Per inch: 5.75 stitches and 6.25 rows
Stitch Pattern (worked over a multiple of 4 stitches + 1):
- Row 1 (RS) : knit all stitches
- Row 2 (WS) : *p1, k3, repeat from *, ending with a p1
- Row 3 (RS) : *k1, p2tog, yo, p1, repeat from *, ending with a k1
- Row 4 (WS) : same as row 2
- Row 5 (RS) : knit all stitches
- Row 6 (WS) : knit all stitches
Repeat rows 1-6 for pattern.
Loosely cast on 51 stitches. (I use the long-tail method and a larger needle size to cast on)
- Rows 1-4: Knit all stitches (garter stitch)
[From here on, you knit the first 3 and last 3 stitches of every row (maintaining a garter stitch border), and knit in pattern stitch over the center 45 stitches]
- Row 5 (RS): Knit all stitches
- Row 6 (WS): k3, *P1, k3, repeat from *, till you have 4 stitches remaining on the needle, p1. Knit the last 3 border stitches.
- Row 7 (RS): k3, *k1, p2tog, YO, p1, repeat from *, till you have 4 stitches remaining on the needle. Knit the last 4 stitches
- Row 8 (WS): Same as row 6
- Row 9 (RS): Knit all stitches
- Row 10 (WS): Knit all stitches
- Repeat rows 5-10 fifty-one more times, or till scarf is desired length, ending with the last row of the pattern stitch on a wrong side row.
- Knit the next 3 rows.
(These 3 rows, along with the last 2 rows of the pattern stitch, which are knit rows make up the garter stitch border).
Loosely bind off all stitches (knitwise on WS). Weave in ends.
Block to desired dimensions.