Download PDF version of the pattern: Ujaala PDF (original English version)
Download Swedish version of the pattern: Swedish Translation
Download French version of the pattern: French Translation
This rectangular lace shawl features a 24-row stitch pattern, worked over a multiple of 27 stitches plus 1. The lace is worked on the RS rows only, and all WS rows are purled. In the shawl shown here, and in the directions that follow, the 27 pattern stitches (charted) are repeated five times horizontally to get an approximate width of 27 inches. If you want a narrower stole, you could do three horizontal repeats instead.
Link to downloadable PDF chart: ujaalachart
• Length: 65”
• Width: 27”
Approximately 320-350 grams or 1320-1380 yards of fingering weight yarn, preferably in wool.
(I used approx. 1330 yards of Lion Brand’s LB 1878 in the Claret colorway. I think the yarn has now been discontinued.)
Gauge (after blocking):
Measured over 4 inches: 21 stitches and 30 rows
- One 32-inch US size-5 circular needle for knitting (or needle size needed to obtain gauge).
- Optional: One 32-inch US size-8 circular needle to cast on and bind off loosely.
- 6 stitch markers (or fewer, depending on your preference)
- Tapestry needle to weave in ends
- Blocking pins (and wires, if needed)
CO 144 stitches loosely (if required, use larger needles for casting on).
Knit 7 rows.
On the next row (WS), knit 4 stitches, purl to the last 4 stitches, knit the last 4 stitches.
From here on, 4 edge stitches on either side of the shawl (8 stitches total) will form the garter border (knit on both sides), and the lace pattern will be worked over the center 136 stitches.
You now start working the lace pattern from the chart.
- Row 1 (RS) – Knit 4 stitches; *place marker, work 27 stitches of row 1 from the chart*, repeat from * to * four more times (total 5); knit 1, place marker; knit the last 4 stitches (6 markers placed)
(Note that you knit one extra stitch after the last repeat, before working the last 4 knit stitches.)
- Row 2 and all wrong side rows – knit 4 stitches; purl to the last 4 stitches (as in all WS rows of the chart) slipping markers where needed; knit the last 4 stitches
- Row 3 (RS) – Knit 4 stitches; *slip marker, work next RS row from the chart*, repeat from * to * four more times; knit 1, slip marker; knit the last 4 stitches
- Row 4 (WS) – Same as row 2
Repeat these last two rows till you have worked through the entire chart (ending on row 24 of the chart).
As established above, repeat rows 1-24 of the chart 19 more times (total 20).
Knit 7 rows
Bind off knit-wise (if required, use larger needles to bind off loosely) on the WS of work.
Block to desired measurements.
Weave in ends.