This simple lace scarf is knit using a little less than 100 grams, or approximately 400 yards of fingering weight yarn. I’m calling it “Lataa”, which means a ‘vine’ or ‘creeper’ in Hindi, because that’s what it reminds me of! The stitch pattern is worked over a multiple of 13 stitches and 10 rows. You cast on a total of 45 stitches, including 6 border stitches (3 on either side) that are knit on every row, and 39 stitches (13 x 3) in the center that are worked in the lace stitch pattern.
The pattern includes both a chart (on page 3) and written instructions.
This pattern has not been tech edited or tested. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a personal message on Ravelry, or leave a comment on my blog.
Yarn – 100 grams or approx. 400 yards of any fingering weight yarn that blocks well (preferably with wool as the primary fiber). I used a little less than one skein of Cascade Heritage (Solids).
Needles – A pair of US size 6 (4 mm) needles for knitting; US size 8 (5 mm) needle for casting on loosely (optional)
• 2-3 Stitch markers (if using)
• Blocking pins / wires
• Tapestry needle to weave in ends
Gauge – 19.5 stitches and 28 rows / 4 inches measured over pattern stitch
Finished dimensions – 8.5 inches wide and 60 inches long
• RS – Right side
• WS – Wrong side
• YO – yarn over
• k2tog – Knit 2 together
• ssk – slip, slip, knit the 2 slipped stitches together
• (s2, k1, psso) – slip two stitches together as if to knit; knit 1 stitch; pass slipped stitches over the knit stitch (2 stitches decreased)
Lataa Stitch Pattern (worked over a multiple of 13 stitches):
• Row 1 (RS) – *[k1, YO, ssk, k1, k2tog, YO] twice, k1*, repeat from * to *
• Row 2 (WS) and all WS rows – Purl all stitches
• Row 3 – *k1, [k2tog, YO] twice, k3, [YO, ssk] twice, k1*, repeat from * to *
• Row 5 – *[k2tog, YO] twice, k5, [YO, ssk] twice*, repeat from * to *
• Row 7 – *k2, [YO, ssk] twice, k1, [k2tog, YO] twice, k2*, repeat from * to *
• Row 9 – *k2, YO, ssk, k1, YO, (s2, k1, psso), YO, k1, k2tog, YO, k2*, repeat from * to *
• Row 10 – Purl all stitches
Repeat rows 1 to 10 for pattern.
(See chart on page 3 of the pattern)
• Cast on 45 stitches loosely using the larger needle.
• Switch to the smaller needles and knit 7 rows
• On row 8 (WS), knit 3 stitches, purl 39 stitches, knit the last 3 stitches.
Next row (RS) – Knit 3 stitches; work row 1 of the Lataa chart / stitch pattern 3 times; knit the last 3 stitches
(You can separate out the three repeats of the stitch pattern using stitch markers, if you want.)
From this point on, you always knit the first 3 stitches, then knit in pattern over the next 39 stitches (13 x 3), and knit the last 3 stitches.
While maintaining the garter stitch border, continue to work rows 2 to 10 of the Lataa chart / stitch pattern (working three repeats on every row) as above. Repeat rows 1-10 of the stitch-pattern 41 more times or till you reach the desired length, ending with row 10 of the stitch pattern / chart (on the wrong side).
• Knit 7 rows. Bind off all stitches loosely, knitwise.
• Weave in ends. Block to desired measurements.