This simple lace scarf is knit using a little less than 100 grams, or approximately 400 yards of fingering weight yarn. I’m calling it “Lataa”, which means ‘vine’ in Hindi, because that’s what it reminds me of! The stitch pattern is worked over a multiple of 13 stitches and 10 rows. You cast on a total of 45 stitches, including 6 border stitches (3 on either side) that are knit on every row, and 39 (13 x 3) main center stitches that are worked in the lace stitch pattern.
The pattern includes both a chart (on page 3) and written instructions.
This pattern has not been tech edited or tested. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a personal message on Ravelry, or leave a comment on my blog.
Yarn – 100 grams or approx. 400 yards of any fingering weight yarn that blocks well (preferably with wool as the primary fiber). I used a little less than one skein of Cascade Heritage (Solids).
Needles – A pair of US size 6 (4 mm) needles for knitting; US size 8 (5 mm) needle for casting on loosely (optional)
• 2-3 Stitch markers (if using)
• Blocking pins / wires
• Tapestry needle to weave in ends
Gauge – 19.5 stitches and 28 rows / 4 inches measured over pattern stitch
Finished dimensions – 8.5 inches wide and 60 inches long
• RS – Right side
• WS – Wrong side
• YO – yarn over
• k2tog – Knit 2 together
• ssk – slip, slip, knit the 2 slipped stitches together
• (s2, k1, psso) – slip two stitches together as if to knit; knit 1 stitch; pass slipped stitches over the knit stitch (2 stitches decreased)
Lataa Stitch Pattern (worked over a multiple of 13 stitches):
• Row 1 (RS) – *[k1, YO, ssk, k1, k2tog, YO] twice, k1*, repeat from * to *
• Row 2 (WS) and all WS rows – Purl all stitches
• Row 3 – *k1, [k2tog, YO] twice, k3, [YO, ssk] twice, k1*, repeat from * to *
• Row 5 – *[k2tog, YO] twice, k5, [YO, ssk] twice*, repeat from * to *
• Row 7 – *k2, [YO, ssk] twice, k1, [k2tog, YO] twice, k2*, repeat from * to *
• Row 9 – *k2, YO, ssk, k1, YO, (s2, k1, psso), YO, k1, k2tog, YO, k2*, repeat from * to *
• Row 10 – Purl all stitches
Repeat rows 1 to 10 for pattern.
(See chart on page 3 of the pattern)
• Cast on 45 stitches loosely using the larger needle.
• Switch to the smaller needles and knit 7 rows
• On row 8 (WS), knit 3 stitches, purl 39 stitches, knit the last 3 stitches.
Next row (RS) – Knit 3 stitches; work row 1 of the Lataa chart / stitch pattern 3 times; knit the last 3 stitches
(You can separate out the three repeats of the stitch pattern using stitch markers, if you want.)
From this point on, you always knit the first 3 stitches, then knit in pattern over the next 39 stitches (13 x 3), and knit the last 3 stitches.
While maintaining the garter stitch border, continue to work rows 2 to 10 of the Lataa chart / stitch pattern (working three repeats on every row) as above. Repeat rows 1-10 of the stitch-pattern 41 more times or till you reach the desired length, ending with row 10 of the stitch pattern / chart (on the wrong side).
• Knit 7 rows. Bind off all stitches loosely, knitwise.
• Weave in ends. Block to desired measurements.